Friday, July 15, 2011

Hard Candy Beetle

Today I have for you a Hard Candy polish called Beetle.  WalMart is the only place I have seen Hard Candy brand, and here they retail for $4 a bottle.  They usually only have 6-8 polish colors out on their displays they seem to be much more into the bright (BRIGHT) and sparkly make-up.  I only own 3 Hard Candy polishes (one is a matte top coat so I'm not sure if that counts), and man am I glad this is one of them.  I didn't really like this color when I saw it in the store the first 274 times I looked at the Hard Candy display, it just looked like a brownish polish with gold and purple glitter in it.  I am here to say it is soooooo much more than that.

See, kinda brown with mostly gold glitter, it's the edges of the bottle that are telling
Beetle is a multi-chrome polish.  A lot of people say it is a dupe for Orly Space Cadet, and from the swatches I have seen they are absolutely correct, I can't show you because I don't own Space Cadet and see no need for it now that I have Beetle.  The difference here is in value, Orly Space Cadet retails for between $7 (at my not-so-local CVS who only has a limited supply) to $10 (at Ulta, also not so conveniently located to me but closer than CVS), Hard Candy Beetle is only sold at Walmart and goes for $4-$5 depending on your area, a much better value.

sun, you can see a little bit of the green flash here.
 I did this as french tips, this is a base of Poshe and Essie Beam Up, 2 coats of Beetle on the tips, a coat of China Glaze Love Letters and 2 coats of Seche Vite.  The Love Letters and SV barely dulled the multi-chrome on this if at all. 

sun, here you can see the purple
Beetle looks like a slightly purply brown, but I'm here to tell you that the base color of this polish is actually an aqua blue, the blue doesn't necessarily show through on the nail, but when you take this polish off, you get purple and gold glitter and aqua blue polish on the cotton.  So didn't expect that. In terms of multi-chrome, this looks brown, but flashes purple, gold and green.  It is sheerish on the first coat, but becomes opaque with 2 coats.  the formula was good, easy to work with and relatively quick drying.  On to the picture spam, because a few pictures just won't do it.

you can see the green and the beginnings of gold here
Blurry to show the sparkly
Inside, no flash, check out that gold on the pinky

you can really see the gold here

Purple, greenish gold and gold
So that is Beetle and she's a beauty, so glad I decided to pick this up, it has become one of my favorites, may have to swatch the few Orly Cosmic Collection polishes that I have soon.  Thanks for stopping by, until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment